Betty Byrd grew up on a ranch in Utopia, Texas with her pet deer Sandy. At bedtime she would dream of photographing wild animals in their natural habitats featured in the only publication delivered to the house, National Geographic Magazine.
A one-way ticket to Arizona enhanced this vision. She witnessed a locust invasion, pouring from the sky. Her wipers could not keep up with the amount of insects hitting the windshield. Or the time she took a jeep trip into the Tucson Mountains where she observed a Tarantula invasion crossing in front of her – sadly, all of this without a camera.
After loading up her VW Bug she drove west to San Diego, California where Betty became a card carrying actor. Now the camera was focused on her. But she was used to the wide open spaces, and yearned for the satisfaction that only wildlife photography could bring.
Betty blossomed into a self-taught photographer, visual storyteller, traveler & voyeur of the animal kingdom. She believes that the visual image is a powerful tool that creates a lasting impression of emotion, curiosity & hope. Words cannot do that.
Her goal is simple: To get the public to care and save species from extinction and not to be afraid of the wild but to embrace it.
What is important to Betty’s work is showing the soul of the animal. Her mind, eyes and heart have been opened by these treasured encounters.
She hopes to inspire others to see all that matters & to care more profoundly about these magnificent creatures great & small.
Betty’s photography now hangs in several collections throughout the country.
HONORABLE MENTIONS, AWARDS & EXHIBITS INCLUDE:
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC YOUR SHOT COMMUNITY
- SAN DIEGO COUNTY FAIR PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBIT:
- a. Four Honorable Mentions (2013 & 2018)
- b. 2td place in the bird division (2016)
- CONTENTA GALLERY>SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO (2015)
- SAN DIEGO PUBLIC LIBRARY>ONE WOMAN PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBIT (2018)
- OFFTRACK GALLERY>ENCINITAS, CALIFORNIA (2019)
- a. Best in Show
- b. 2td Place
- STATE OF CALIFORNIA>CERTIFICATE OF RECOGNITION FOR OUTSTANDING COMMUNITY SPIRIT
- CHURCHILL WILD>CERTIFICATE SHOWING THAT I SURVIVED A POLAR BEAR SAFARI AT THE SEAL RIVER HERITAGE LODGE ON THE UNTAMED HUDSON BAY COAST>CHURCHILL MANITOBA, CANADA (2013)